Monday, September 6, 2010

Thank You Aristotle...for the confusion

     Ok, I have put it off for about two weeks now, so I guess it is time to start blogging. I thought we had an interesting discussion about rhetoric the first week. Everything was easy enough to understand and I was getting a grasp on what rhetoric was until Aristotle came along. I just feel like it was fairly hard to understand students' chicken scratch and notes that were translated thousands of years later, especially when certain sections of that reading seemed to go in circles and repeat itself using the same phrases.

     One thing I did thoroughly enjoy was the few clips of "Thank You for Smoking" that we watched. I had heard it was funny, but had not actually seen it before. Seeing the clips from the movie somewhat motivated me to download it and watch it on the computer. Besides being pretty funny, it was interesting to see examples of rhetoric used throughout the length of the whole movie, used in a way that made it easy to pick out and understand.

2 comments:

  1. I found Aristotle hard to understand as well. At times, it was very wordy. Besides that, I have enjoyed the discussions on rhetoric. It is a topic that is not always thought about, at least for me. I found that the video clips helped me to understand rhetoric a little more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this comment is a little late, but I found it interesting to go back and read what we were talking about a month ago.

    It makes me realize that this reading wasn't as difficult as it initially seemed. It was great to have everyone work on it and try to help each other interpret it. I think by putting us into groups and breaking the passage down into smaller pieces we were able to learn a lot more.

    That's why I love class discussion and group work: as cliche as it sounds, we can learn so much more from a group than from just one person.

    ReplyDelete